If you want to build your own solar power system but do not know where or how to start, you need to have someone or something to guide you along. Although there are lots of books written on DIY system to generate electricity from solar energy, not many actually brings you through the detailed steps to building one on your own. What the majority of guides do is give people tons of general information with no specific steps to get you started. Therefore, it is important that you go for a guide that is so simple to follow even for a DIY novice. Here we look at the topics that should be covered to enable you to build your own solar power system.
Essential topics you need to build your own solar power system:
1. Overview of how the solar energy system works. This will include different components that are used in the system as well as their functions.
2. Sourcing of components. Before you even start to think about how to build your own solar power system, the components required for the project has to be ready. A good guide will provide useful information on how one can obtain the parts easily at the lowest costs. In fact, I know of a guide that gives you tips of getting the necessary hardware for less than $ 200. Read on to find out more.
3. Step-by-step instructions of how to build your own solar power system. Those of you who have done electrical DIY projects before should know that building a power generator entails many considerations and calculations on the current and voltage requirements. It is not as simple as Lego where you simply fix the pieces together and hope that it works. The guide should have all these details.
4. Tracking of the amount of energy the system is producing and storage of excess electrical energy. For such a system to be complete, you need some sort of method to measure the amount of electricity you are producing. Since you will not be using all the electricity you need all the time, there will be some excess and it is important to store it for later use especially at night when the sunlight is not present.
Optional topics that may be useful:
1. How to design off-grid and on-grid system. Designing an on-grid system enables home owners to contribute electricity to everyone else on the same grid. In certain states of US, the energy companies will compensate these homes in monetary reward for doing so. Off-grid system on the other hand, encompasses topics like how to build your own solar power system that you can bring along everywhere you go, like camping for example.
2. Building a wind turbine to generate electricity. Some guides provide this information which is also very useful.