Acupuncture is used to alleviate or manage many health conditions and is considered medically necessary by private insurances for conditions such as migraines, low back pain, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, knee pain, pain management, and the side effects of chemotherapy.
Acupuncture is a very safe medical procedure performed by licensed professionals. In the state of California acupuncturists are primary care providers with the education necessary to refer patients to specialists.
Patients are receptive and open-minded about this form of medicine. After treatment many patients feel happy that their body feels so good and they are happy that they decided to go to a holistic doctor.
A trial of acupuncture for pain management is 12 visits over the course of 6 weeks. Acupuncture has a cumulative and holistic effect. Some relief and changes in symptoms are usually experienced after 4 visits.
Results vary between acupuncturists based on technique and other variables. Depending on the severity of the condition and how long the illness has been present, duration of treatment will vary.
Since acupuncture more often than not helps when all else has been exhausted, I suggest acupuncture to be used simultaneously with conventional medicine as soon as symptoms arise and a diagnosis established.
• Acupuncture decreases the chances of addiction to pain medication
• Decreases the toxicity of the drugs
• Decreases the use of pain medication, often alleviating the need for them.
• Acupuncture increases the quality of life
• Better sleep is experienced, less anxiety
• Decrease in depression, increase in clear thinking
• Increased physical activity
• Healthier relationships are outcomes of consistent acupuncture treatment.
• Accelerates healing time and the ability to return to normal activities.
• Acupuncture has been proven to reduce inflammation, improve circulation, relieve muscle tension and spasms, regulate the immune system, promote healing and stop pain.
It is time we add acupuncture to the care of each and every individual experiencing pain and offer the holistic benefits of acupuncture. Timing is everything in healthcare and prevention is the key to a higher quality of life.
Patients are waiting until all else fails to try acupuncture and are surprised that it helps them dramatically with their self-care, not only decreasing pain, better body functioning from urination to being able to dress themselves. It is wise to start acupuncture before everything has failed. Before things become worse. It is best to start acupuncture as soon as symptoms arise in order to get the best benefit and decrease the side effects of medication.