If you suffer from back pain, the first step towards relief is to understand the nature of the pain and what has caused it. If you know what is causing your back pain, it will be less worrying.
Is the back pain temporary or permanent? Will it likely to recur and how does it affect your lifestyle? These are the questions we need answers.
Some back sufferers are restricted in work and in sport. The majority of people who has back problem find it a nuisance rather than incapacity. Therefore a trouble-free back assume great importance in our lives. Any tip which helps to reduce back pain is valuable.
Causes of back pain
Back pain is caused by physical strains and stresses. It can also caused by degenerative changes in the vertebrae, discs and other parts of the spine. All these causes can be influenced by injuries in sport, occupational hazards and accidents on the road and at home.
Other common causes include bad posture while sitting, lying down, standing, walking, bending and pregnancies. Unbalanced diet and nutrition can also contribute to back pain.
Practical tips to prevent back pain
1. Stand tall and straight.
2. Sit with adequate back support.
3. Do not bear weight on one leg for too long at a time.
4. Have work bench at correct height. The correct height of the bench for you is at wrist level. The height for you can be easily found by standing against the bench and relaxing your arms.
5. When lifting, keep the weight close to your body. Keep your back as straight as possible. Use your hips and knees to bend rather than your back.
6. Avoid a combination of lifting and twisting with a bent back. This is the most strain on your back.
7. If you have to lift repeatedly, keep each lift to a minimum weight even if this takes longer to complete the task.
8. Use mechanical devices for lifting where possible.
9. For travelling, carry two small suitcases rather than a big heavy one.
10. Do not sag or slump.
11. Choose a chair with the right height for you to avoid leaning forward all the time.
12. Avoid chair whose horizontal surface is too long for your thighs.
13. Avoid sitting on deck chairs.
14. Choose a car by its seat and not by the engine.
15. Use firm pillow to support the small of your back to prevent sagging. This is especially so for badly designed car seats.
16. Golfers to use a trolley. Limit the load to 7 clubs if a trolley is not available.
17. Keep your back warm at all times.
18. If you have to sneeze, sneeze upwards rather than downwards. Arch your back backwards when you cough.
The message here is – Look after your back and your back will look after you. Treat your back well and you need never suffer from back pain.