Critical Care

When to Use Wound Care Products and When to See a Doctor

Wound care products are the ointments and salves that are designed to be used to help a wound to heal more completely. There are many different types of wound care products because there are many different types of wounds.

Cuts and scrapes are some of the most commonly seen injuries that require wound care products at home. You need bandages to help cover and protect the injured area and you need ointments that help to kill the bacteria that can get into the injury and cause secondary infections and complications. Most people keep peroxide on hand to boil the germs out of minor cuts and scrapes, and they usually have antibiotic ointments on hand to help prevent infection in minor cuts and scrapes. Some people keep the bandages necessary to butterfly cuts closed with, but when a cut is deep enough, or wide enough, to require butterfly stitches you likely should take the injured person to a doctor for medical treatment.

Wound care products that soothe the pain of minor burns are frequently found in most home first aid kits. These are products that have mild pain relieving properties, and products that help to keep the skin from drying out. A sun burn should be treated with a soothing ointment, and minor burns you would get from coming into contact with something hot should be treated with soothing ointments and possibly medications that contain Lidocaine for the numbing of pain. If a burn is black or is severe the person must be seen by a medical professional. Second and third degree burns are easily infected and the treatment by a medical professional is the only way to know for sure that the injury is not getting infected.

When a person falls and twists their ankle, or wrist, it is okay to elevate the injured limb and apply ice to help relieve the swelling. Over the counter medications like ibuprofen will also help to reduce the swelling caused by these types of injuries. If the person cannot move the arm or foot they should see a doctor to eliminate the possibility of a break. If there appears to be a bone protruding from the wound the person should be taken to an emergency facility for treatment. Sometimes when a bone is broken the area will immediately become swollen and discolored. This is not always the case so you will have to use your own judgment about the severity of an ankle or wrist injury after a fall.

Most people keep some antihistamines on hand in case someone is bitten by bugs or suffers a mild allergic reaction. Do not try to treat a snakebite or spider bite at home. You need medical treatment when you are bitten by a poisonous creature. If a person is stung by wasps or bees and they experience a tightening in their throats or they complain of difficulty breathing then they should be immediately taken to an emergency facility for medical evaluation.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button