Sinus and headaches are both related to the head. Sinus affects mainly the respiratory and the nasal passages. Sinus has become a very common disorder amongst people today. Millions of people suffer from this torturous problem all over the world. Its symptoms vary from case to case. Some of the common symptoms include excessive or constant sneezing, watering of the nose, blockage of one or both nostrils, and heaviness of head or headaches. In some cases there could be one or many of the symptoms mentioned above. It makes the life of the sufferer miserable because of constant sneezing all the time due to complete congestion. Breathing becomes difficult and the patient has to struggle for every breath. Often due to the blocking of the nose, the sufferer’s voice is also affected. The chronic type of sinus affects the voice badly.
Headache is also a common problem of our time. It would not be out of place to mention that perhaps no one is spared from this malady. People suffer from various types of headaches. Some people suffer from headaches constantly for a prolonged period. Others may suffer from headaches only now and then. There are also cases of people that suffer from headaches certain time of the day. In certain cases, the sufferer experiences pain in only half of the forehead. The chronic type of headache is called migraine. There are various causes of headaches, a comprehensive list of which it is not easy to present. Nevertheless, some of the well known causes of headaches are listed below.
When the nervous system of the individual is strained either due to internal or external strain and stress, one develops a headache. The head being the central place of all the nerves, any disorder which affects the nerves, consequently begin to show its impact on the central nervous system which results in head pains. This straining of the nerves can be due to various reasons such as high or low blood pressure, indigestion, sinus, eye trouble, gastric trouble, constipation and wind problems. Other causes may also include excessive smoking, excessive intake of coffee or tea, and too much alcohol, lack of proper sleep, anxiety, tension and fatigue. Whatever the causes, it can be cured by the practice of Yoga.
The following Yoga Asanas are to be learned and practiced to eliminate sinus and headaches completely.
1) Jalaneti – This process of cleansing the nose helps in relieve sinus and headache. It is an excellent way of cleansing the nasal passages, phlegm and any blockages.
2) Bastrika – This Yoga asana activates the liver, spleen, pancreas and abdominal muscles. The sinus is drained and there is a fresh flow of blood to the head region.
3) Kapla Bathi – This Yoga asana is also known as head cleansing. This asana cleanses the head region, improves eye sight, hearing and adds radiance to the face. Headaches, migraines and sinuses are relieved through constant practice.
4) Pranayama – Pranayama is the process of cleansing and purifying the tubular organ of the subtle body through which energy flows. It should be practiced sitting in meditative pose while facing east or north. There are eight types of pranayama breathing.
5) Sutra Neti – By practicing the Sutra Neti the nose is cleansed of phlegm and produces clairvoyance. This is practiced only after Jala Neti or water cleansing. It must be learned under the guidance of a proper teacher. It is an excellent way of cleansing the nose and sinus.